*Individuals interested in competing in the Citizen’s Race do not need to qualify for this event.
*if your name appears on the list of qualified athletes above, you may register through RunReg.com HERE
How to qualify to compete in the 2014 Dion Snowshoes U.S. National Snowshoe Championships
1. An athlete must be a current member of the U.S. Snowshoe Association. The annual
membership fee is $30.00 and that includes a one year subscription to the Trail Runner
Magazine, among other benefits. Athletes must register for USSSA membership PRIOR to
competing in their regional qualifying event. Day of registration is permitted. Visit
www.snowshoeracing.com to learn how to register for membership. Or download a printable membership form HERE.
2. An athlete must complete a recognized USSSA qualifying event and record a “qualifying” finish performance. Athletes may compete in as many qualifying events as they please. An athletes’ age group is determined by their age on 12/31/14. Junior athletes must complete a 5km event (where offered) while Senior athletes complete the 10km regional event. The schedule of qualifying events can be seen at HERE, or simply scroll to the bottom of this page.
3. At each qualifying event, the top 10 overall “USSSA Member” finishers in the Junior Boys and Girls 5km AND the Senior Men’s and Women’s 10km events will qualify for the 2014
4. PLUS…at each qualifier event, the top 5 “USSSA Member” finishers in each USSSA age
group for Senior Men and Women will qualify to compete at the 2014 National
20-24 yrs. of age
25-29 yrs. of age
30-34 yrs. of age
35-39 yrs. of age
40-44 yrs. of age
45-49 yrs. of age
50-54 yrs. of age
55-59 yrs. of age
60-64 yrs. of age
65-69 yrs. of age
70-74 yrs. of age
75+ yrs. of age
5. PLUS…..any “USSSA Member” who does not finish among the overall top 10 of “USSSA
Member” finishers in the Junior 5km or Senior 10km, NOR among the top 5 “USSSA
Member” finishers in their age group, BUT DOES finish within 130% of their age group
winners time, also qualifies to compete in the 2014 National Snowshoe Championships.
6. PLUS….the members of the current 2013 U.S. National Snowshoe Team are automatically eligible to compete in the 2014 U.S. National Snowshoe Championships, as are ALL PAST members of the U.S. National Snowshoe Teams (2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012). These athletes DO NOT need to complete a qualifier event BUT, do need to be a current USSSA member. Check the USSSA website to see who past National Snowshoe Team members are.
7. New in 2014, the top 3 finishers in each age group from the 2013 US National Snowshoe
Championships in Bend OR are also automatically eligible to compete in the 2014
Nationals in Vermont. They DO need to be a current USSSA member. A list of these eligible
athletes is posted on the USSSA website under the “Eligible Athletes” tab.
8. ALSO….the USSSA offers two other categories of participation at the National Snowshoe Championships. Active members of all branches of the U.S. Armed forces are invited to participate and compete in the All-Military Division of the Senior 10km event. These athletes DO NOT need to pre-qualify, since their active duty status may not allow the time to do so. UT, participants MUST BE current USSSA members. Individual and team awards are presented.
9. The USSSA also offers an International Division of competition in the Senior Men’s and
Women’s 10km events. Athletes who ARE NOT US citizens may compete for awards. These athletes DO NOT need to pre-qualify, BUT do need to be current USSSA members.
There are nearly forty qualifying events across the country where athletes may earn the right to participate in the 2014 Dion Snowshoes National Snowshoe Championships. These events are held in Colorado, Wisconsin, Utah, Minnesota, New York, West Virginia, Oregon, Michigan, California, New Hampshire, Vermont, Pennsylvania, New Mexico, Idaho, Wyoming, South Dakota, Maine, Iowa, Massachusetts, Washington and Alaska.
The National Snowshoe Championships include the following events; 1) Junior A and Junior B Boys & Girls 5km Championships, 2) Senior Women’s 10km Championships, 3) Senior Men’s 10km Championship, 4) a 5km Citizen’s Run/Walk, 5) a Kid’s Kilo, 6) a 4 x 2.5km Snowshoe Team Relay, 7) An Uphill Dash plus a Vendor Expo and Prize Raffles.
For more information on the 2014 Dion Snowshoes U.S. National Snowshoe Championships, visit www.snowshoeracing.com or call the USSSA Sports Director at 518-420-6961. Or, visit www.ussnowshoechampionships.com.
The United States Snowshoe Association’s 2014 Dion Snowshoes National Snowshoe Championship Qualifying Series Calendar
• February 22nd, 2014 – Curly’s Record Run Snowshoe Race – Pittsfield, MA – 4 Miles – http://runwmac.com/snowshoes/default.html
• February 22nd, 2014 – Exeter Snowshoe Hullabaloo – Exeter, NH – 4 miles – Chris Dunn www.acidoticracing.com
• February 22nd, 2014 – Bend 5k/10k Snowshoe Race – Bend, OR – Andrew Jensen, email@example.com, 541-408-1801.